FAQ Videos

When Can an Illinois Child Support Order Be Modified?

DuPage County Divorce Attorneys Assisting Parents with Child Support Modifications

Situations may arise where you or your ex-spouse will need to modify the amount of child support paid by one party to the other. However, the modification process and the applicable child support laws and guidelines can be difficult to navigate. Fortunately, the attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can help simplify the process due to our years of experience.

If you would like to modify your child support agreement, you can file a motion with the court. You will need to show that there has been a substantial change in your state of affairs since the original child support order was established. Depending on your circumstances, the amount of child support required can increase or decrease.

However, the court can only make this adjustment following the date the motion was filed. It is important to file a modification request as soon as you possible after experiencing any financial changes in your life. Any payments that were due prior to filing a modification request must be paid in full, and interest will apply to late payments. If a modification request is granted, the changes may be retroactive to the date the request was filed.

Some reasons that changes to support payments may may be made include:

  • A change in your or your spouse's income;
  • Substantial changes to any expenses, including your living expenses or costs related to raising your children;
  • A relocation that may result in increased transportation costs;
  • Adjustments to parenting time that will result in a child living primarily with a different parent; or
  • A disability that will result in increased medical expenses or other costs for a child.

Contact Our Wheaton Child Support Lawyers

Determining when child support modifications may be appropriate can often be confusing. That is where our team at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can help. Contact one of our attorneys to set up a consultation. We can help you to be sure that your modification requests are in compliance with Illinois laws. We assist clients with child support matters and many other family law issues. Call us at 630-665-7300 today. We serve clients in DuPage, Kane, and Kendall Counties.

Contact Us

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A
St. Charles, IL 60174
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

From our law office in Wheaton, IL the family law and civil litigation law attorneys of Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick and Mirabella, represent businesses and individual clients throughout the western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois including Wheaton, Naperville, Oak Brook, Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream, Lombard, Downers Grove, Burr Ridge, Lisle, Elmhurst, Oakbrook Terrace, Winfield, Woodridge, Warrenville and throughout DuPage, Kane and Kendall Counties.

Make a Payment
© 2023 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100, Wheaton, IL 60189 | 630-665-7300
Kane County | Disclaimer Privacy Policy | Resources Sitemap
Take me to top
Giving Back
Contact Us
Giving Back
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree

golf outing