Can Child Support Be Modified Based on Changes in Income?

DuPage County Child Support Modification AttorneysChild support is a critical aspect of ensuring the well-being and financial stability of children whose parents are no longer together. However, circumstances can change over time, including changes in income for one or both parents. When these changes occur, it may be necessary to modify child support payments to reflect the new financial reality. In these situations, determining when modifications may be appropriate, what calculations will be used to determine the correct amount of child support, and how to address any disputes that may arise can be a complex process. An experienced attorney can provide invaluable guidance in the cases, advocating for solutions that will protect children’s best interests while ensuring that parents can maintain financial stability.

The Basics of Child Support

In most cases, child support is determined by statutory guidelines that take into account factors such as the income of both parents and the needs of the child. The court will consider each parent's net income, as well as any applicable deductions, when calculating an appropriate amount that should be paid to address the basic needs of the child, including food, shelter, and clothing. Parents may also need to determine how they will collaborate to address other expenses required to meet their child’s needs, including the costs of education, healthcare, and childcare.

Grounds for Modification of Child Support

If circumstances have changed since the initial child support order was issued – such as a significant increase or decrease in either parent's income – it may be possible to seek a modification. Generally speaking, courts will only grant modifications if there has been a significant change that has made the original order unjust or inappropriate.

Situations that may warrant seeking a modification may include:

  • A significant increase or decrease in either parent's income

  • A loss of employment by either parent

  • An unexpected medical condition affecting either parent's ability to work

  • An illness or medical condition affecting a child that will require parents to pay additional medical expenses

  • A change in child custody arrangements

  • A change in childcare costs (e.g., daycare expenses)

Court Process for Modifying Child Support Orders

To modify an existing child support order based on changes in income or other relevant circumstances, you can take the following steps:

  1. Gather financial documentation: Collect recent pay stubs, tax returns, and any other relevant financial documents that demonstrate the change in income.

  2. Petition the court for a modification: File a petition or motion to modify child support with the appropriate court. This document should include details on why you are seeking a modification, and you will also need to provide evidence of the changed circumstances.

  3. Serve notice to the other parent: Ensure that the other parent receives proper notice of your request for a modification. This typically involves serving them with a copy of the petition or motion.

  4. Attend a hearing: Both parents will be given an opportunity to present their cases before a judge. It is crucial to have legal representation during this process to ensure that your rights are protected.

Until a judge issues a new court order modifying child support, any existing requirements will remain in place. Child support payments must be made, and any missed payments will need to be made up. However, a modification may be retroactive to the date that the petition requesting the modification was filed. Because of this, it is important to submit a petition for modification as soon as possible after the loss of a job or other circumstances that may affect your financial circumstances.

The Role of Legal Representation

An experienced family law attorney can help navigate through the process of modifying child support orders based on changes in income. They can gather all necessary evidence, prepare persuasive arguments, and advocate for solutions that will protect children’s best interests during negotiations or courtroom proceedings. 

Contact Our DuPage County Child Support Modification Attorneys

If you are looking to modify your child support order due to changes in income or other financial concerns, the compassionate family law attorneys at Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC can provide you with the legal representation you need. Our Wheaton child support lawyers understand how the laws in Illinois are applied in these cases. With our experience addressing these concerns, we can help you put new child support orders in place that will meet your family’s needs. Contact us today at 630-665-7300 to schedule a consultation.


Recent Blog Posts


250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A
St. Charles, IL 60174
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

From our law office in Wheaton, IL the family law and civil litigation law attorneys of Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick and Mirabella, represent businesses and individual clients throughout the western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois including Wheaton, Naperville, Oak Brook, Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream, Lombard, Downers Grove, Burr Ridge, Lisle, Elmhurst, Oakbrook Terrace, Winfield, Woodridge, Warrenville and throughout DuPage, Kane and Kendall Counties.

Make a Payment
© 2024 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100, Wheaton, IL 60189 | 630-665-7300
Kane County | Disclaimer Privacy Policy | Resources Sitemap
Take me to top
Giving Back
Contact Us
Giving Back
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree