Office Operations during COVID-19/Coronavirus Pandemic. To effectively do our part to stop the spread, MKFM's offices are not generally open to the public; however, our attorneys continue to remain hard at work and available to provide legal services to new and existing clients.

Child Support in Illinois – How and When Can a Child Support Order Be Modified?

DuPage County child support lawyersWhen a couple has a child together – be they married or not – both parents are legally obligated to provide financial support. Child support orders are the legal manifestation of that obligation, and they outline how much should be paid (generally on a monthly basis). Yet, often, these orders are set up when a child is young, or when a couple first divorces. What happens when life circumstances change?

When the Needs of a Child Have Changed

Children are constantly growing, changing, and evolving. It only makes sense that their needs change, too. Yet not all changes constitute a modification to a child support order. Generally, the shift in needs must be fairly significant. For example, if a child is accepted to an elite educational program, the receiving parent may seek a modification to help cover the tuition. Likewise, if a child is diagnosed with a medical condition or illness and needs extensive medical treatment, a modification may be requested.

Alternatively, the paying parent may also seek a modification for the evolving needs of a child. If, for example, a non-minor child is still receiving support but then marries, the supporting parent could request a modification. If you pay child support and believe that a modification may be warranted because of changing needs of your child, contact an experienced attorney for assistance.

When a Supporting Parent's Circumstances Have Changed

Supporting parents are not immune to significant life changes. They may become disabled because of an accident or an illness, be laid off of work, lose their business, or suffer some other ill fate that negatively affects their income. If significant enough to impede their ability to pay the ordered child support amount, supporting parents should seek modification. It is critical that the parent do this at the very first sign of trouble since failure to pay may result in serious consequences, including jail time.

Seeking a Modification to Your Child Support Order

Whether you are a receiving parent, or a supporting one, there are certain steps that must be taken to modify your child support order. This can be a complex process that requires you to prove that a significant change has occurred. Get experienced the assistance you need and reduce the risk of common missteps with help from an experienced family law attorney.

At MKFM Law, we recognize that circumstances change, children grow, and life happens. When it affects your ability to pay support, or your child's needs for support, our DuPage County family law attorneys can help you navigate the legal complexities of a child support order modification. Call us at 630-665-7300 and ask for your initial consultation today.


Recent Blog Posts


250 W. River Drive, Unit 2A
St. Charles, IL 60174
Evening and weekend hours by appointment.

From our law office in Wheaton, IL the family law and civil litigation law attorneys of Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick and Mirabella, represent businesses and individual clients throughout the western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois including Wheaton, Naperville, Oak Brook, Glen Ellyn, Carol Stream, Lombard, Downers Grove, Burr Ridge, Lisle, Elmhurst, Oakbrook Terrace, Winfield, Woodridge, Warrenville and throughout DuPage, Kane and Kendall Counties.

Make a Payment
© 2020 Mirabella, Kincaid, Frederick & Mirabella, LLC | 1737 South Naperville Road, Suite 100, Wheaton, IL 60189 | 630-665-7300
Kane County | Disclaimer Privacy Policy | Resources Sitemap
Take me to top
Giving Back
Contact Us
Giving Back
Contact Us

In honor of the passing of our founder, Joseph F. Mirabella, Jr., our offices are closed Friday, January 31, 2020.I Agree